Friday, August 12, 2011

Getting Started

Well, I'm setting up a blog.  Something I thought I would never do!
The thing is, Al and I are planning a big adventure next year, and we want to be able to record it and relate it back to family and friends back home.  I figured that I'd better get familiar with this blogging thing before we are on the trail. 

Here's the plan.  Al and I are going to fly to England in spring 2012, probably around mid February.  We'll take a week or so in London to get our shit together and get over the jetlag, then head down to the south west corner of the country.  Land's End in Cornwall.  From there we will walk to the north east tip of Scotland.  John O'Groats.  We are planning on taking about 100 days to walk the 1100 miles.   We'll carry our stuff and stay in inns and B&Bs.  

We have all the Ordnance Survey maps (they are totally amazing) and Al has mapped the route out.  We'll try to have as much planned out as possible as far as where we'll stay and arrange accommodations as we go.  We'll have to send our maps ahead, as the maps alone weigh over 15 pound! We'll be sending them back to Corvallis as we use them.

As this is really just a test post, I'll leave it at that.  I'll try to update our preparations as we get closer.


Ooh, I got a picture to appear!  This is us in 2006 at the end of the Cotswold Way, when the seed was planted for this next adventure.

3 comments:

  1. i love the picture! what a nice family!

    julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'ello Dawn & Al,
    Brilliant, you're off to a great start and we're so excited for you! You've done a great job on the blogspot and it already makes enjoyable reading. How about publishing a book in the future?
    We'll look forward to following your adventures and wish you the best time of your lives!
    Three Cheers,
    Sharon & Peter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dawn and Allan,
    Met you yesterday (Mon 30 April) on the canal near Linlithgow. Best wishes for the remainder of your journey.
    If you need anything don't hesitate to contact me. I will send you an email with my cell phone number.

    Yours aye, Norrie

    ReplyDelete