Friday, March 30, 2012

Day 33: Whitchurch

Distance: 10ish miles (GPS battery fail)
Photo count: 3

Today ended up being a really short walk. When Al was mapping it out, for some reason he had us taking a round about route in order to stay on the Shropshire Way. Our experience the other day made us rethink that decision. With the help of our hosts at Soulton Hall, we were able to take a very direct, relatively painless route to Whitchurch. It did involve a rather harrowing bit along a twisty B road at the end, but we survived.

So, since this was a pretty uneventful day (not even any cute baby animal pics!), I thought I could follow up on Al's post from a week or so ago and answer the question "why are you doing this walk?!".

Well, I could say it's because Al wanted to, but that's not true. It's true that he came up with the idea and I probably never would have myself, but I wouldn't be here if I didn't want to be. The facts that I love walking in England and I wanted to see more of the country are also true. But mostly, I wanted to see if I could do it. I am not, as they say over here, very sporty. Never have been. So this kind of, admittedly not terribly extreme, physical challenge has never been something that I've sought out. This trip gives me the chance to try to do something that not many people have done. Something that I'd never have predicted I would even try to do. And it's going quite well! My feet are sore at the end of the day, but I seem to have turned the corner in the last week or so. I can definitely walk farther without as much soreness and my overnight recovery is better too. And I still haven't had to take any Advil! So that's why I'm doing the walk. Plus there's the added bonus of being with Al. After 25 years, it's still fun to be on an adventure together.

Tomorrow that adventure takes us onto the South Cheshire Way. I hope it's well traveled!

And since we can't have a post with no pictures, here's one of the pub we had dinner at in Whitchurch.




And here's one Al took of himself.





Location:Sedgeford,Whitchurch,United Kingdom

10 comments:

  1. Maybe you are not sporty but you can sure walk. I know, you give me a run for my money. Now I am scared to go walking with you when we see you again. Are you going to use the crazy walking sticks then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm having such a great time reading about your adventures, Dawn and Al. Al is looking really sunburned! Glad you are having a wonderful adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could have at least put in another picture of that church from day 1!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was great to see you guys this morning, friday here on the west coast, you two look happy! And thanks for indulging us with Kaitlyn's new tricks, and I'm going on record that FaceTime works awesome, and I just got caught up on your blogs too, ignoring my children while they destroy the house, it's all good, loved the breakfast edition and of course all the food talk, and I'm so very glad to hear that after 25 years together that you two want to spend time, probably the most time you two have ever spent together alone, good to know for Bruce and I, you will agree with me Al, crazy Yoshida clan, just joshing! Can't wait to hear more, and the weather out west sucks, it keeps raining and raining, so I'm happy that you guys are having sunny weather! Mel

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading your blog and look forward to your adventures. The best cheese I have ever tasted is Shropshire Blue, so if you have an opportunity to taste some while you are there, I highly recommend it.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dawn, those are all great reasons! And it sounds like you are actually far more sporty than you've been thinking! (some folks who think they're very 'sporty' have to take Advil like they're daily vitamins!). Hope we see some more pics soon of what I think Alv calls your "crazy stick dance" (and also some new pics, as LarryN's figured out, of that church from day one . . .)
    Here a short article by a daughter about walking with her mother on the Fife Coast Path in Scotland http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-scotlandwalk-20120401,1,5682041.story
    Cheers! MAK + JAK

    ReplyDelete
  7. Al, any plans for that 5 mile run during one of your off days, or still outside the scope?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, will try posting again -- it disappeared just after publishing the first time -- and hope the blogging gods are presently more kindly disposed . . .

    Dawn, those all sound like great reasons! And it seems you may actually be far more sporty than you've been thinking (a lot of folks who think themselves fairly 'sporty' take Advil like they're daily vitamins!). Hope we see more pics soon of you doing, what I think Alv calls, your "crazy stick dance" (and also some new pics of that incredibly photogenic church, that LarryN's figured out, are all from day one . . .)

    Here's a link to a nice story about a mother+daughter walking the Fife Coast Trail in SE Scotland -- though I noticed they are not carrying all their gear from point to point like you two!!

    http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-scotlandwalk-20120401,0,4378177.story

    Keep going and keep blogging! It's terrific to learn about the places you're seeing a people you're meeting . . .

    Cheers! MAK + JAK

    ReplyDelete
  9. mel is so right - we're drowning out here. the rivers have flooded over their banks and it hasn't stopped raining since thursday (now it's saturday morning). the good news is your house is standing, cooper is waking jay up by patting his face, and you have all of your trees still.

    so much for the corvallis report - i didn't comment on the post about the "hill" was it Weches . . . something that you ended up not climbing, but your quote on the 2 roads diverging in the yellow woods is one of my favorites, al. it is so true. chances of you getting back there again are slim, but you never know. such is life and the choices we make.

    i think, dawn, that you have

    STOP THE PRESS! IT'S NOT RAINING AT THIS MOMENT!!! FIRST TIME IN 48 HRS!

    accomplished something this spring that will always be reflected on as a high point in your lives. not only that you still like to take an adventure together, or that you're not "sporty" usually (although you leave me in the dust!) but just that you focused in on a goal, mapped out how to make it happen, and then simply did it.

    when the hens are 90, sitting around knitting, sewing or eating chocolate, you'll remember this spring as a high point of life.

    cheers, julie

    ps - beth's birthday is wednesday and janet's is thursday this week!

    ReplyDelete