Sunday, February 26, 2012

Day 3: our first tough day

Distance: 17.4
Yesterday-photo-count: 108
Today-photo-count: 19

Today was tough. We turned north, leaving the beautiful south Cornwall coast behind, heading inland for 3 days to bypass this big peninsula they call The Lizard. The country lacks the dramatic beauty of the coast, but it's still very nice. The rolling hills are crisscrossed by hedges breaking them up into fields of grass, cauliflower, and bright yellow daffodils. There's villages, and old stone churches, and farms that look like they've been worked for 200 years.



We thought it'd be a nice walk through the countryside; turned out to be a bit of an adventure. But here we are at the end of our day, showered and warm and enjoying a pot of tea, so I shouldn't complain. I will anyway.

But first, I'd like to thank everyone who has commented on the blog. The first thing we do after a day of walking is check for new comments! It's really great, like having our friends and family all stop in for a few minutes each day. We appreciate it, please keep them coming! And everyone who hasn't commented, don't be shy, just hit the button and write us a line about what you're up to, or what you think of our shenanigans, or just to let us know you're out there!

Back to our tough day. We thought that we'd be mostly done with the up and down when we left the coastal cliffs, but it turns out this place is all these super deep valleys and high rolling hills. I'll bet Gordon can explain why. We thought yesterday was brutal with a total uphill of 2075 feet. Today we climbed 2393 feet. Another thing we didn't know is that Cornwall is famous for its china clay deposits - the largest in the world! So what happens when it rains? You get mud. That lasts for a long time. So even though we haven't had a drop of rain since London, many footpaths, inviting dotted green lines on the map, look like this on the ground:



I didn't take pictures of the deep mud pits on the narrow paths, because we were too busy trying to get through without sinking to our knees. The locals go walking in wellies; our standard issue modern just above the ankle boots were no match for the mud, even with gaiters. So that slowed us down a lot, and added some effort.

But what really did us in was one wrong turn. On the map, there's one of those pretty green dotted lines running along the river Cober, starting just a couple of miles into the day's walk. What we didn't realize is that there are two footpaths. We took the nearest one, following one of those great "public footpath" signs you see here. That was a mistake. The correct footpath was on the other side of the river. Things went fine for the first mile, though we were kind of wondering why nearly all the other walkers we saw were across the water. Then it happened. We arrived at a stream flowing into the river. One of those annoying streams, too deep and fast and wide to simply jump. Maybe six feet wide, and a foot or two deep, gurgling pretty good. The path we were on had sort of petered out by now, but clearly people had turned and walked upstream before. So we followed them. After 15 or twenty minutes the path was completely gone. Ahead was swamp. Across the stream was a big field that looked a little more inviting, though there were no paths. We found a branch reaching over the stream and decided to cross.


I went first and discovered that the branch was as slippery as it looks in the picture. Tough balancing with a pack! I went back and ferried Dawn's pack, and then it was do or die time for Dawn. Ian and Erin, you would have been proud of your mother. She scampered right across with only the slightest twinge of fear in her eyes. It's hard to see in the picture, but to get to the branch, you have to swing your leg around the trunk of the tree. It wasn't easy for me, and my legs are twice as long! It was quite a relief to be still dry, with all of our gear, on the other side.

But we were still a mile off course. Getting back to the river Cober was not really an option: back that way was swamp with mud so deep we may have been swallowed up forever. So we headed overland, through the fields. After lots more being lost, backtracking, mud, and confusion, we finally found a promising looking muddy track heading in roughly the right direction. Ten minutes later, we arrived at a road, back on track. We passed off the track onto the road, I swung the gate closed behind me, and we were on our way.

Almost. Twenty feet on we heard a voice at the gate, "Hey! You there! This is private land, you shouldn't be walking here." In the usa, at this point you run and hope not to hear bullets around your ears. But this being Cornwall, I went back to chat. Once he saw that we meant no harm, and were just Canadians out lost, he warmed right up. Told us that what we thought was a footpath, is just a track used by hunters who go out shooting on the moors. He had an amazing Cornish accent. I could barely make it out. We got the directions we needed to get back on track. The last thing we heard was "up to Coverack Bridge is a lovely little walk; we love our walks we do!" Naturally, his "lovely little walk" was (in portions) a narrow path of deep mud. But we made it. And, if only we had wellies, it really would have been a lovely little walk.

And so the day went. The last half was on lanes, which is not the nicest walking because the hedges are usually high, and so you don't see much.


But there was very little traffic, and we came across a pub in Porkellis serving roast beef and Yorkshire pudding (washed down by the local ale: Betty Stogs), and once we were lunched up and moving we made good time.

Tomorrow (thankfully) is a shorter day: ten miles mostly along Cornish lanes through Truro and a few miles out the other side.

25 comments:

  1. Was the mud thick and clung to your boots so you got to carry 5 extra pounds on each foot?? I hate when that happens.
    I bet you are having the best pots of tea ever... after a day like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey,

    the walking sticks are the key for hikes like that. im glad you have then dawn. they really help out. i thought you guys are from the states and should introduce yourselves as such. see how they treat you. good to hear that its a bit of a slog; its good for you. if the marrige can handle a wrong turn on a hike it can survive anything.

    bruce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Guys-
    This post makes me wonder if I should bring my Bogs boots! I'm not sure how dried out the paths will be by May... Let us know if you find any great pubs near Okehampton -- we'll be staying 5 miles from there.
    Good job fording the stream on the scary log, Dawn! I am a wuss when it comes to stuff like that.
    --Heather (hi from Ken)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, do you remember "The Princess Bride" ? At one point they have to cross the Valley of Despair - sounds as though you may have been close! I wish we were there as well, even with all of the mud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good on ya's for resourcefullness and stamina! Muddy trail, no Wellies; nothin that a cuppa or a pint can't remedy! Your reports are a great read and I wish you both an enjoyable journey of a lifetime!
    Cheers, Sharon Harr

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very impressive stuff. Trekking through the mud can slow you down to half pace or worse, and I know from our little experience how easy it is to take a wrong turn. I know how tired I feel when I walk 17 miles in perfect conditions -- for only one day... Hot bath and a few pints cures almost any ills. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a story for you from my day today (hey, you asked). I was out for my long run today and about 15 miles in, I was zoning out trying to ignore the aches and pains when I noticed a guy running the other way giving me the stank eye. I figured, maybe I know him? So I focused my eyes and realized I didn't. Another 10 seconds passed as he approached ... still staring me down. I figured it out as he passed when he said (with utter disgust in his voice) "... beavers...". I hadn't connected that he had a Ducks shirt on and I was wearing the OSU shirt I picked up on our first visit to see Persia. I was far too tired to have a pithy reply at the ready :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No pithy reply needed ... Don't sink to the level of a duck fan ...

      Delete
  8. And to think we worried about you playing in the snow...might be worth investing in some Wellingtons!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi guys,
    I'm practicing the commenting procedure under Erin's supervision.
    How am I doing so far?

    Father Hendrik

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi dad, you are doing great. I think you are ready to comment solo - without Erin's help.

      Delete
  10. Hello, Dawn & Al... I stayed at Camilla House in 2010 and discovered your Blog as a friend of Camilla House. Simon and his wife were grand host to us so I hope you don't mind if I trek along with you from the comfort of my laptop. I'm an Al as well from Atlanta. Best of luck to you both on this adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Simon and Susan were great - we really enjoyed the Camilla house. Please do follow along!

      Delete
  11. Crossing that stream and trekking through the mud reminds me of the West Coast Trail. I'm sure you feel the same way, Dad. Hopefully you won't come across any boulder fields.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally reminds me of west coast trail! Except no ladders so far ...

      Delete
  12. Wow. Tricky sticky mud, shimmying across slippery branches above fast water, and charming English shooters across their own land. Just 3 Days in and it sounds like you guys are already playing for keeps!
    A couple more days like this one and you just might make 007-Bond redundant (as they say over there)!
    Hope the sun and temps favor you (and Alv's camera) over the next several days, and match your good spirits.
    -mak+jak

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nothing like a pint of Betty Stogs and a Sunday roast to keep you going. Before you leave Cornwall you need to try Skreach cider (for that extra dry feeling). When you get to Devon don't miss Cripple Cock!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I like the hedge walk the best,,,remember,no one can see what you are doing either!!
    Right there with you xoxox judy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Contrasts will make it memorable. I showed Ollie the pictures and told him you are walking where Gordon is! Dad's post is my favourite so far...
    -Caro

    ReplyDelete
  16. Reading your blog entries will surely be the highlights of my days! You are doing a fabulous job conveying stories of local flora (scenery) and fauna (local folk), paths/trails/roads of sticky mud & slippery crossings, hot pots of tea and likely the best roast beast you've had in a long time. Both impressed and inspired, I look forward to upcoming posts! Many thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey guys, great to meet you in the pub tonight, good luck with the walk, we'll follow the journey. And don't forget - 451236

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been enjoying your trek from the warmth of my desk here while you are scraping the mud from your boots! Onward to nicer days you two!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm enjoying reading about your adventures. Great job getting across the creek and through the mud! I can't imagine. Hopefully, today was an easier day for you. I've seen Cooper a couple of times when he comes out to great me at the mailbox. :) Maria

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh the mud - reminded me of our italy adventure in the search for karen's winery. can't imagine slogging along through it. my fav comment so far is "can't complain but i will" al! awesome! ;-] made me chuckle.

    sorry i'm late getting back following you all. i checked in multiple times on the first couple of days when you didn't have much and then, well i don't know, brain fart, i forgot to keep checking. anyway, i've gone back and am reading everything. good to catch up.

    jay says cooper is his favorite. good company. julie

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's badass Mom, I am indeed proud. And I'm really really happy that you got to hear someone say "we love our walks we do"

    ReplyDelete